The name EtherCos stands for an open-source solution for automation and test purposes including Scilab/Scicos and EtherCAT support. Below is a short summary of what EtherCos is capable of:
- Realtime execution of multiple applications consisting of multiple tasks with signals and parameters.
- Accessing the applications' signals and parameters via TCP/IP. There is a generic C++ library called PdCom and many tools for visualisation, data logging, etc. available from here.
- Creation of realtime applications using Scilab/Scicos and the EtherCos blockset.
The EtherCos package can be subdivided into the components listed below:
- The realtime application interface (executable in userspace with or without RT-Preempt Kernel), that is responsible for the execution of the realtime applications. It manages the application tasks, signals and parameters. Multiple applications can operate simultaneously on one computer.
- The communication interface, that is responsible for presenting signals and parameters via TCP/IP. Each application is accessible via an own TCP port.
- The Scilab/Scicos integration of EtherCos in terms of the EtherCos blockset for Scicos and the code generator, that is able to create EtherCos applications from Scicos models.